Tuesday, July 28, 2009

How an orphan changed my life...

Warner Bros. new horror movie Orphan proclaims that it must be hard to love an adopted child as much as your own. Let me tell you about how an adopted orphan child changed my life...

Adoption was always my first choice. I've never suffered from infertility. I suffer from not yet finding the right potential mate. But I wanted to be a mother and there was a little boy who needed a new mother and we we were united as a family 7 months ago when Nati was 2.5 years old.

My first choice was a toddler. I didn't want to change diapers and frankly didn't think I could afford them and the high price of daycare for a child younger than he.

Bonding was very easy with Nati. Nati was diagnosed initially with failure to thrive. He's now fully caught up and is excelling in areas. It's not all about nature. Nurture plays a HUGE part in the success of the child and that of the family.

My life and that of the rest of my family has been incredibly enriched. My son is smart, clever, loving, mischievous, stubborn, not good at sharing, and full of life and energy. He has melt downs the same way as any other 3 year old. I've been told by my family that he's just like me. Funny how that is. Because of him, I'm a much better person. I'm more loving, caring and compassionate. More patient. Less harsh.

Yes there are risks in adoption as there are risks of flying, driving, having your own child. If you're interested in adoption, I encourage you to first understand why you want to adopt then seek out a great agency. It's very easy to love an adopted child as much as your own. There are times I forget I didn't give birth to him.

6 comments:

Monica said...

Great post, Christine! I think we have changed too since our boys joined our family and we have been so blessed.

Robbin Hopkins said...

Well said Christine. Both of you too are lucky to have each other!

Spiritual Journey said...

Awww! I love this post. We should protest the horror film title. I'm offended by it!

LoveNotes4CocoPrincess said...

AMEN AMEN AMEN!!!!

S. said...

I wrote a post to protest this movie too. It is great you wrote to share your story! I am an orphan advocate and hope you will checkout my site and share the link with your friends.
www.givingworks.typepad.com
Thanks!

BrookeTeeter said...

Hi Christine,

I came across your blog from Gladney's website. I too suffer from not finding the right mate and also wanting to be a parent. I'm about to turn 29 and feel the calling to adopt. I've felt it for a while but it is so much stronger now. I do plan to wait probably 2 years to start the process. I am just about to move into a new house, job is about to go through some transition so I want to see where things are in a couple of years but I will book mark your blog. You inspire me as a single person wanting to adopt. Glad I came across this. If you have any more insight feel free to e mail me at brooketeeter@hotmail.com